Human resource departments tend to be very paper intensive handling a wide range of document types from day to day. Keeping track of high volumes of human resources documents in paper format does presents a number of problems such as:
- high administrative and paper storage costs
- difficulties in policing unauthorised access
- greater risks of losing tribunal cases or failing audits
However, with the right solutions in place its is very easy and cost effective to switch to an electronic document management system.
Using document scanning software, HR teams can convert a wide range of human resources documents into digital format whenever they are received. Kofax Capture software allows departments to index the scanned documents with useful metadata ready for storing in a document management system.
Key benefits of digitising human resources documents
By systematically converting HR documents to indexed digital format and storing them in a document management system, HR departments can realise some significant benefits. There are also particular benefits in using an online document management system which allows secure access via a standard web browser from any web enabled location.
Potential benefits include:
- Management of all human resources documents in one centralised system.
- Fast document search and retrieval.
- Reduced paper storage requirements and costs.
- Share documents quickly and securely.
- Enhanced disaster recovery through off-site cloud storage.
- Easier tracking of documents electronically through workflows.
- Easier compliance with the Data Protection Act with tight control over user access.
- All document access is recorded with audit trail logging which aids compliance with BS BIP 0008.
- Reduced administrative cost and effort in managing records in systems accredited to the ISO 15489 standard.
Departments with extensive paper archives of human resources documents can convert these relatively rapidly using a document scanning service. For one client in the security sector, UK document scanning service Data Capture Solutions report digitising 9000 employee records (over one and a half million pages) in less than 30 days.
Data Capture Solutions and HR Document Management
For assistance in assessing and finding the right HR document management and scanning solutions that full meet your requirements including industry regulations and legal compliance talk to DCS on +44(0)1753 616720.
DCS are experts in a wide variety of document management and document scanning software, systems and services that will not only improve your productivity and reduce costs, but also keep you on the right side of document compliance requirements – visit Data Capture Solutions at http://www.dcs.co.uk for more information.